Hi everybody, I know, I know... I've been a bit lax with hobby updates recently , but random life events and injuries got in the way of some quality hobby time.
The Deadzone Plague miniatures I mentioned a couple of posts back are still in progress. I've just been finding it hard to motivate myself to actually sit and get on with any painting.
I decided to get on with something quick and easy to break me out of my hobby-block. And I've been needing to get on with some terrain for my collection anyway... So, two birds, one stone and all that.
I went to a local model railway store and picked up some supplies and this is what I've been up to today:
I've been wanting to make some shipping containers for quite some time, so I got some supplies together and made a start on them. I wanted them to still fit in with other 40k terrain I'll be making and the Necromunda bulkheads seemed just the thing to keep them in theme.
I'm pretty happy with how they've turned out so far. I like the scale and they are quite durable, being constructed entirely in plastic and fixed together with poly-cement. They'll be able to be played over easily and block lines of sight effectively. Really looking forward to getting them done and onto the table.
I just need to add some minor details like hinges and door handles and then I can get them painted up.
For anybody interested in how they were constructed, it was not terribly complicated and a very quick and simple rundown follows hence forth.
A few packs of textured styrene.
Several "L" shaped styrene rods.
And a dip into my stash of Necromunda bulkheads.
Along with a cutting mat, steel ruler, scalpel, clippers, some poly-cement and some plain styrene sheet (not pictured).
The first step was to measure and cut the textured styrene to fit the edges of the bulkheads. I left them the original length they came in the pack and just cut the width down.
The top 70mm wide, 2 sides at 67mm wide and I cut a plain piece of styrene sheet (which I forgot to take a picture of) for the bottom that measured 130mm long and 70mm wide. I also cut the "L" rod into 124mm lengths (4 per container)
The Necromunda bulkheads have little bumps/pins inside the slots, which were used for keeping the original cardstock in place securely.
A few slices with the scalpel and they were removed to allow more space for the styrene sheets.
Everything went together very easily and securely and I just wrapped them in a couple of rubber bands to hold things in place while the poly cement set.
As an after-thought I decided to remove the forks from the bottom that normally hold the bulkheads together.
And on these ones too (It would have been easier before construction, but I didn't think about that at the time)
With the forks removed the containers stack neatly on top of each other.
That's pretty much it. I'm taking another stroll down to the model railway shop in the next few days, one more pack of the textured sheet and the leftover ones I have will net me two more containers.
Anyhoo, I'm done babbling now. Hope everybody out there has been doing well and I'll get back to you all when I've done a little more work on these pieces of terrain.
Until then, take care :)